Tuesday, December 31, 2013

God With Us

"Where is God?" Pastor Ben asked during children's time one Sunday.

"He's in heaven," said one of the children gathered at Pastor Ben's feet.
File photos from children's time at church.
 
"Yes, that's right," Pastor Ben affirmed. "Where else is He?"

And one little girl took her pointer finger, gestured to her side, and said, "He's right here."

I was sitting in the choir loft. And shivers went down my spine as I watched her finger point to her side, just as if God were sitting there, cross-legged beside her, on the green carpet in the front of a church in Stafford, America.

I've remembered it many days since. (See why I'm a fan of children's time? I love Pastor Ben's messages, but he got a little help that Sunday from an 8-year-old, brown-eyed beauty.)

I thought about it again as I read more of the book, "Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference?" by Philip Yancy:
"Let the imagination roam, placing yourself in the presence of God, affirming that since God is everywhere, He is here now. Think of Christ as standing at your side, sharing your experience."
That little girl didn't need a book to tell her a truth she's already discovering in her life: God is right here ... right by her side.

He's right by my side.

And He's right by your side, too.
Our lives may be broken. But, God is like a farmer who takes the broken pieces of a barbed wire fence and splices them together again so we can hold firm.
Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. Lamentations 3:22
As we begin the New Year, the stockings come down from the mantle. We take the angel from the top of the tree and store it for the next 11 months or so in a plastic tub in the basement.
Out of sight, out of mind, right?

No, it shouldn't be that way. While I pack away the bright lights and ornaments of the Christmas season, I shouldn't pack away the truth of Emmanuel: God With Us.

That little girl had it right: God is right here. Right by our side. That's the Good News that we should celebrate long after the last Christmas hymn is sung. We should keeping singing that truth all the way until Advent next year. 

We shared this prayer in worship after Christmas. It's my prayer for the New Year (illustrated with some photos I chose):
God of Nativity, come and touch my soul with your love.

Bind my heart with bonds of peace.

Take my hand.

Guide me to the manger.

No gift have I to bring. 
By your mercy, receive my praise and adoration.

 Be born in me this day, O Lord, my Savior. Amen.

***
As we enter the cold days of winter, soup is often on the menu at our country home. Need some tried-and-true recipes to add to your repertoire? Try this Tomato Tortellini Soup. It's easy and delicious!

Still have some leftover ham in the freezer from Christmas dinner? Try this Hearty Split Pea Soup from my sister, Lisa's, kitchen. Think you don't like Split Pea Soup? Try this one and you may decide differently.

2 comments:

  1. Oh the blessings small children are to us. Their words can be so Holy Spirit inspired. We can learn much from them:0) Thanks, Kim for your words of grace and wisdom. Your words are truly Holy Spirit inspired as well. I was especially blessed by the farmer statement and his fence. Sooo good and so true. Love you - Edna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the affirmation, Edna! Out of the mouths of babes ...

      Delete